LocationPortland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Date PostedFeb 4, 2020
SAXX Underwear Co. is looking for a Product Developer to join the team based at our Portland office location.
This is your opportunity to be part of a globally growing brand in a dynamic work environment.
Manages the development of innovative and technical apparel products. They are responsible for developing products that meet or exceed the gross margin targets set by the business and working with the Design Team and factories to ensure products meet the SAXX design vision, fit and quality standards. They drive and manage the process, maintaining the product creation calendar and supporting the businesses go-to-market objectives. The ideal senior product developer has a depth of experience in fit and construction and understands how to communicate requirements and changes. They understand the apparel costing process, how it relates to materials and construction, and have experience negotiating with vendors. To be successful in this role the senior product developer must have a strong degree of ownership, be detail and process focused, results-oriented, have strong communications skills and be able to build excellent relationships with vendors and internal business partners.
- Lead product development from design hand-off to production including the creation and ownership of tech packs throughout the development season, ensuring seamless communication with the factories and delivering on-time correct prototypes.
- Manage the development of assigned styles, evaluating prototypes, achieving the creative intention and functional performance vision, and ensuring all are fully commercialized prior to seasonal order placements.
- Partner with Design and Suppliers to develop new trims, construction techniques, and processes to create innovative and technically superior products.
- Maintain and leverage strong partnerships with SAXX’s agents and factories. Be the point of contact for all new product development communication.
- Drive multiple project timelines and ensure internal teams make decisions as needed to meet product creation and production deadlines.
- Own the fit process for Saxx, ensuring all products meet SAXX fit standards, demonstrating leadership and understanding of fit and garment specifications during the development process.
- Direct vendors in pattern adjustments as needed to achieve the proper fit and functional performance vision. Ensure the correct grade rules are applied to all product categories.
- Collaborate with the QA manager and own all quality resolution or manufacturing challenges with our vendor partners.
- Understand requirements for compliance to brand, regulatory, and other country-specific standards and ensure these are executed in product and detailed on packaging.
- Partner with Sourcing Lead to complete initial costing estimates and own the resolution of margin challenges before tech packs are issued to streamline product creation process.
- Lead the seasonal costing process, ensuring products are engineered to cost standards and costs are negotiated on a seasonal basis to maintain margin requirements.
- Own product cost input into margin tracking documents and databases, ensuring accuracy and visibility throughout seasonal development.
- Partner with the Director to build and execute SAXX’s long- and short-term global source strategy to support the brand goals for pricing, quality and timely deliveries.
- Execute placement of adopted styles in accordance with the sourcing strategy
- Bachelor's degree in Apparel Design, Textiles, Manufacturing, Merchandising; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of eight years in product development, garment manufacturing, technical design or quality assurance, with category or process ownership.
- In depth knowledge of apparel fit, construction, materials, and of manufacturing processes.
- Experience of working with factories in Asia or other locals, and merchandising teams to develop designed to cost and designed for manufacturability apparel products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to problem solve & resolve issues; curiosity and information seeking skills
- Ability to develop strong relationships with cross-functional team members and external partners, and to communicate clearly across time zones and cultures.
- Exceptionally strong negotiating skills and organizational skills.
- Deadline driven with track record for delivering great results on time.
- Proficient skills in PC use and applications, including Microsoft Office Excel, Adobe Illustrator.
- Proficiency and working knowledge of Apparel and Materials Product Data Management systems and tools a plus.
- International travel required.
Please forward your cover letter and resume and quote Product Developer in the subject line. No phone calls please. We appreciate your interest in the role, however; only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in a career with SAXX.Apply