Apparel Product Designer
Date PostedJan 15, 2020
SAXX Underwear Co. is looking for a Apparel Product Designer to join the team based at our Portland office location.
This is your opportunity to be part of a globally growing brand in a dynamic work environment.
Designs new product concepts – both underwear and apparel - to meet the needs of the SAXX consumer helping to guide and define the SAXX brand in the marketplace, resulting in sales and growth for the company. Develops design concepts including fabrication, style definition, color and features for review by the Product Creation Team.
Output includes product design, tech sketches, color palette development, lab dip approvals, as well as seasonal design direction development and support for review by the Product Creation Team.
- Continuously provides innovative, best-in-class product design solutions that position SAXX as the leader in the technical and fashion underwear and apparel categories and helps to grow the brand into an emerging active lifestyle brand.
- Uses creative design skills, trend insights, market research, industry experience and knowledge of the SAXX consumer and brand positioning, to interpret market and consumer needs, bringing to market trend-right, leading-edge designs, that drive consumer brand passion.
- Leverages SAXX's patented technology and fabric innovations to solve consumer’s problems and drive consumer brand passion and loyalty.
- Actively seeks and interprets feedback from consumers, retailers and sales representatives to influence and inform design concepts.
- Working in collaboration and partnership with Product Line Manager, Materials Manager and Design team, and under the direction of the Creative Director, utilizes internal and external design resources effectively to deliver impactful & cohesive seasonal product line.
Design, Development and Production:
- Provides best-in-class design packages, which includes sketches, illustrations of construction details, and multiple product views. Partner with product development to execute effective tech packs and develop best in class product stories.
- Actively participates in color process – partners with CD to build seasonal color direction and palette, as well as colorway development on a style-by-style basis. Manages all lab dip requests, submits & approvals for fabrics, waistbands and trims, working with Design, Materials and Development partners. Communicates directly with factory partners.
- Participates in prototype process including attending fit sessions, reviewing samples and directing revisions as needed throughout the development cycle.
- In partnership with CD and Materials, manages seasonal in-house wear testing program, to validate design concepts, prior to go-to-market.
Design Review and Process:
- Prepares professional-level design review presentations (verbal and visual), presenting in an effective and persuasive manner, to garner input and approval from cross-discipline audience and upper management.
- Partners with Creative Director and Design team to execute effective and efficient seasonal meetings. Anticipates and meets all gates and dates of the product calendar.
- Possess thorough knowledge of apparel design and development; merchandising procedures, product materials, construction and production techniques.
- Knowledge of computer design software as well as the talent and ability to perform free hand drawings
- Ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment with a high level of adaptability.
- Mental ability to conduct complex interpersonal interactions with employees and customers. Ability to multi-task - troubleshoot, design, coordinate and perform special task/projects simultaneously.
- Capacity and responsibility to make decisions, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Must be organized, utilize clear communication and execute on follow-through.
- Bachelors' degree in Apparel Design, with minimum 4 years' progressively technically sophisticated experience in product design.
- Proven exceptional ability to apply and perform design skills, including drawing/sketching, ideation, color theory, materials and construction knowledge, use of texture, spacing, and scale, visual presentation development, layout, multimedia and digital.
- Demonstrated ability to apply these skills in innovative ways that elevate brand excellence.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to trends influencing design in general, and in fashion / active specifically.
- Ability to effectively elevate strategic concerns to senior management in a timely and accurate manner.
- Proven process ownership and accountability; candidate can lead development of the creative through execution.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, ability to author presentations and concepts.
- Ability to collaborate effectively across disciplines.
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage to support your wellbeing
- Get additional health care support through a virtual health care platform and an Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Have your birthday off to celebrate in style
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Hang out with the cute and cuddly dogs at our headquarters
- During the COVID 19 pandemic, we learned the majority of our roles are remote-friendly. Although there may be times where it is required or more effective to be in office for certain meetings or tasks. As the pandemic evolves, we will continue to adjust our working arrangements as necessary.
Please forward your resume and quote Apparel Product Designer in the subject line. No phone calls please. We appreciate your interest in the role, however; only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in a career with SAXX.Apply